Behind the Eight Ball

Behind the Eight Ball - M.A. Church ARC was provided by the author for review.

Once again, M.A. Church delivers a fun, playful, sexy story about a feline shifter and his human mate. Heller does not like humans. Personal history left him with a strong hatred for the species. So when he scents his mate, and realizes it’s a human, he is horrified. He initially rejects his mate and refuses to acknowledge him, but his view changes when Lawson, is threatened.

“Can I treat you like a cat?” My favorite scene is when Heller shifts for the first time for Lawson. And although he's known about paranormals for years, is a bit shy and doesn't quite know how to act around Heller's cat. They play for hours with the box of cat toys Heller has stashed in the living room. I said this in my review of book one, but Ms. Church really brings to life the persona of the cat, including all the quirky mannerisms.

Heller’s hatred of humans didn’t seem to make sense, until he explained to Lawson what caused it. I could totally understand where he was coming from. He experienced a horrific ordeal at the hands of a human, and it would be enough for any paranormal to write them off.

Lawson is threatened, but it’s really nothing to do with Lawson. And the story doesn't fully end at the end of book two. It is left unfinished as it shifts to revolve around Lawson's friend, Marshell. I can only hope we do not have to wait too long for the resolution and Marshell's story.

If you like cats, and you like shifters, this series is a must read.

This review is cross-posted at Gay Book Reviews.